Top tips to stay healthy in the water this summer
If you are planning to enjoy the water this long weekend follow these simple tips to stay healthy.
- Check current warnings about water quality conditions.
- Look for signs and warnings about water quality. Water safety signs are displayed by Life Saving Victoria at 28 beaches around the bay. The signs can be found at the main access point to the beach and near the red and yellow patrol flags.
- Avoid swimming near stormwater outlets.
- Wait at least 48 hours after heavy rain before swimming.
- Cover any cuts and abrasions with waterproof dressings before getting in the water.
- Avoid ‘eskimo rolls’ and capsize drills when kayaking in poor water quality.
- Avoid deliberately drinking from untreated water sources such as rivers and creeks.
For more tips visit health.vic.
Enjoy the long weekend.